Painting wood is a critical prospect. Pait increases the age span of wood. There are different methods to paint wood, but spray painting wood is the best option. It is the easiest way to paint. But the big question is can you spray paint laminate wood? This is the big question that is frequently asked by painters.
You will think that it is possible to spray paint laminate wood. Yes, it is possible, but you have to make a few tweaks to do it. It is not possible to directly apply spray paint on laminated wood. But before going too deep into the topic, let’s explain what laminated lumber is.
Laminated wood is made of laminae layers that are glued together. The main difference between laminated wood and plywood is that the grain in plywood is crossed at right angles, whereas laminated wood has parallel grain. This is the main difference. Here we have the Best Glue for Lamination Wood.
How to spray paint laminated wood; let’s explain.
There are two ways you can do it. The first is wet sanding, and the second is dry sanding. Both are in different ways and have different effects.
In wet sanding, a heavy sander is used so that it can dust particles and loose layers of paint. It cleans the surface of laminated wood so that we do not face any problems while spraying the wood.
In dry sanding, we use our hands to remove lost layers of paint. Because painted laminated sheets always create resistance when we spray paint a laminated wood.
After doing all these tasks, you must apply spray paint to the laminated wood. We do this to ensure that we only apply spray paint to the wood directly, not to the laminated sheet.
In the dry sanding method, you have to clean all the paint that is on the sheet. There should be no more paint on the surface. Otherwise, you will have to revise the painting process. So, be careful while doing that.
Equipment Required for Spray Paint Laminated Wood
You need some special equipment before spraying paint on laminated wood. Here is the list of the object
- An air compressor
- Paint gun
- Gloves to avoid stain
- Respirator mask
- Safety glasses
Techniques Required for Spray Painting Laminated Wood
Spraying a laminate is not as easy as you think. It requires some special techniques. Here is the list of the techniques that follow while doing this task.
- Make sure that the whole surface of the laminate is clean.
- Remove anything that you can remove from the surface of the wood. It could be paint, hair, dust particles, or anything else.
- Apply low pressure as much as you can. The benefit of applying low pressure is that it allows the spray paint to bond better with the surface. The finish becomes smooth.
- You need to use a primer or base coat before spray paint any laminate wood. The primer coat allows the spray paint to stick well. In addition to that, it also helps prevent the finished product from chipping or peeling.
- Be careful not to overspray. In the event of overspray, the affected area will be over sprayed. A brush or rag can be used to remove these areas with ease.
- Let the spray paint settle down for at least 24 hours.
- Sand the rough and over-painted areas
- Clean the area with a damp cloth
- Move to laminate wood from the area after it completely dries out.
These are the best practices to spray painting laminate wood. I hope you have a fair bit of knowledge on handling spray paint lamination wood.
What is the best spray paint for laminate wood?
Several spray paints are available in the market to paint any lamination. But we recommend the latex spray paint. The following lines will clear your confusion as to why we have selected the latex spray paint.
- It is available in different attractive colors
- This is a water-based color that can be diluted when needed
- Its finishing is smooth
- The paint is solvent-free, which makes it one of the best products for indoor use
Can You Spray Paint Laminate Wood? It is answered, and we hope you got what you were here for. People are still confused about whether this can happen or not. Yes, it is possible to do so by applying a few simple techniques. Apply the tweaks mentioned in the article, and everything will be fine.
FAQs about Can You Spray Paint Laminate Wood
What kind of paint will stick to the laminate?
Latex paint is recommended. These paints are good at sticking to the surface of any lamination. They are water-based with a smooth finish.
Can you spray paint laminate without sanding?
Yes, you can do that, but remember that if the wood laminate has scratches, dust particles, or loose paint, you will face some problems.
Can you paint over laminated wood?
You can paint over laminated wood by following the techniques mentioned above.